Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 35

Went for a walk with Almyra, my dear ex-pat friend who lives in Lux. She is the REAL
photographer in the family. But I noticed a familiar vibe - she stops to look at things while everyone else keeps going down the sidewalk,and often, a camera is between her and what she stops to see. Now I know what it's like to walk with me. Though I think she's more hard-core.


 I am a light-weight compared to her but I am enjoying myself. She talks about the triangle of exposure and I talk about what looks interesting and stop there. 

She introduced me to Miksang, a type of meditative photography 
where you take photos of what strikes you, what opens
up to you, what you notice, what speaks to you. She says this is a discipline 
in that you have to un-train your cultured eyes - we always see through the lense of 
trends and culture and see a different way. I think the cultured lense is inescapable, and yet perhaps we just have to see with a different eye,
the inner eye - a completely different sense altogether. Maybe that's what she's talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment